The latest version of Apple’s desktop operating system, macOS Sonoma, was released recently. As well as new screensavers, widgets on the desktop, Safari updates, and improvements to video conferencing, macOS Sonoma comes with several new features and improvements.
Table of Contents
Your Mac must meet the system requirements if you plan to upgrade to macOS Sonoma. MacOS Sonoma requires the following system requirements:
- Processor: Apple M1 chip or later
- Memory: 8GB
- Storage: 256GB
- Graphics: Metal 2-compatible graphics
- Internet connection: Broadband internet connection
There may be some features available in macOS Sonoma that are not available on all Macs. For example, the Presenter Overlay video conferencing feature requires a Mac that has Apple Silicon.
Continuity Camera with an iPhone 12 or later or the built-in camera on a Mac with Apple Silicon are required to capture hand reactions.
The About This Mac section of System Preferences can help you determine if your Mac meets macOS Sonoma’s requirements.
MacOS Sonoma is compatible with the following MacBooks and Macs:
- MacBook Air (2018 and later)
- MacBook Pro (2018 and later)
- Mac mini (2018 and later)
- iMac (2019 and later)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac Studio (2022 and later)
Tips For Upgrading
You can download and install macOS Sonoma from the App Store by opening the App Store, searching for “macOS Sonoma,” and clicking “Get.”
To upgrade to macOS Sonoma, follow these tips:
- Back up your data: In order to avoid losing data during an upgrade, it is important to back up your data first.
- Make sure your software is up to date: All your software, including macOS, applications, and drivers must be up-to-date before you upgrade.
- Free up space on your Mac: A minimum of 256GB of storage space is required for macOS Sonoma. To free up space, you can delete unused files, uninstall applications, or move files to an external hard drive.
- Upgrade during a quiet time: If possible, upgrade your Mac to macOS Sonoma when you aren’t doing anything else on it. This will ensure that the upgrade will complete without interruption.