iOS 13 was released Thursday, September 19th. How to download iOS 13? What are the compatible iPhone and iPad? What are its main novelties? Point.
iOS 13 was launched Thursday, September 19th. Following seven betas delivered by Apple since June, it is now available in the final version. Available as an update, iOS 13 is pushed by Apple on compatible iPhone and iPad.
For the rest, Apple has already delivered iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 beta. The iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, the new iPhone models of the Apple group, should be equipped with this new intermediate version. The new range has been available since September 13 in pre-orders. As for the first deliveries, they will intervene as of September 20th.
How to Download iOS 13 / How To Install
iOS 13 is offered by Apple as an update on a compatible iPhone and iPad. It is advisable not to install it immediately, the first versions of the mobile system may suffer from bugs. If you still want to deploy it, you must first check that your device is compatible with the new opus (see the list of supported iPhone and iPad).
Then check that your device is equipped with the latest version of iOS iOS 13 (in Settings> General> Software Update) and update it if necessary.
Then, it is recommended to free disk space, at least several GB. Before updating, it is also preferable to save your data on iTunes. Through Wi-Fi, the update will be available through Settings> General> Software Update.
You can also connect your device to a computer to update through iTunes. You’ll find it through the Finder sidebar. Several reboots will then be needed to complete the installation.
What’s new in iOS 13?
- A dark mode optimized for the night display, and in parallel saving energy, is emerging. It can be activated from the control panel.
- The optimized app download. Until now Apple prohibited to download an application above 150 MB in cellular mode, and in this case, had to go through a wifi connection. This limit increases to 200 MB with iOS 13.
- A swipe-to-type input device, on the SwiftKey virtual keyboard model, is integrated for the occasion.
- The iMessage application embeds a new profile system on the model of WhatsApp, allowing you to add a name, a photo, and to choose who can access it.
- Content sharing management sees its graphical interface evolve to make it easier to share photos and HTML links. Sharing suggestions are also proposed according to the profile of the interlocutors and the frequency of the exchanges.
- The Photos application has its interface re-cast. It will manage the support of three objectives to take photos or 3D movies. Other evolution, it is now equipped with a second level of tabs that makes navigation more comfortable. The photos are automatically sorted according to the month and location of the shots.
- The Reminder application has sections on the Home screen, listing “All Tasks”, “Tasks to be Performed Today”, “Scheduled Tasks”, and “Closing Tasks” respectively.
- The editing tool reviewed. iOS 13 allows you to switch a video in landscape mode even if it was taken in portrait mode. The editing tool incorporates many other small improvements.
- The Files application is now compatible with external hard drives.
- Subscription management. When deleting an application, an alert will now appear on iOS 13 to ask the user if he also wants to cancel the subscription related to this application.
- Management of privacy. With iOS 13, users will be able to better control geolocation.
iPadOS: an OS dedicated to the iPad
The operating system dedicated to the iPad is now uncorrelated iOS, and is the subject of a separate OS, called iPadOS. For the occasion, Apple introduces several salient innovations in addition to those delivered with iOS 13:
- The home screen of the iPad is close to that of macOS. On the program: integration of tabs in applications and floating windows (see illustration below).
- A new feature like Duet Display or Luna Display now allows users to use their iPad as a second screen from their Mac, retaining its tactile capabilities, including support for the Apple Pencil.
- A download manager enriches the Safari browser. Objective: give access to all downloads made from a single page, as is the case in most web browsers.
- Widgets. The iPadOS gives the possibility to integrate widgets to its home screen by covering various areas: a reminder of upcoming appointments, weather data, most frequently used applications…
- A multitasking mode. iPadOS allows launching several applications that will appear in floating windows (manipulable in the manner of a “deck of cards”) that can be edited. It is also possible to open the same application twice to work on two contents in parallel.
- Improved NFC support. With iOS 12, Apple had introduced in its mobile system the ability to read NFC tags, but with some restrictions. With iOS 13, these restrictions are lifted. The system will be able to scan ePassports, and interact with contactless smart cards and NFC-enabled hardware. iOS 13 can even transmit data to NFC tags.
iOS 13: Compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod
iOS 13 Compatible iPhones
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone Xs
- iPhone Xs Max
- iPhone X
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6s / 6s Plus
- iPhone 7/7 Plus
- iPhone 8/8 Plus
- iPhone X / XS / XS , Max / XR
iOS 13 Compatible iPads
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 5th generation
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air 3rd generation
- iPad 5th and 6th generation, and all iPad Pro.
iOS 13 Compatible iPod
- iPod touch 7th generation
Name of iOS 13?
The augmented reality glasses project from Apple would still be on the rails, contrary to some information that could say the opposite. The US site MacRumors claims to have gotten hold of a preview of iOS 13 containing a preview application called STARTester that would be designed to simulate the functions of frames in augmented reality on an iPhone for test purposes.
A documentation file also suggests that Apple is developing an augmented reality-oriented device with the code name “Garta”. Finally, the code of this beta of iOS 13 also contains a system, called StarBoard, with primitives to make it work (ARStarBoardViewController and ARStarBoardSceneManager).