A condition known as highway hypnosis, or white line fever is a mental alteration wherein a person can drive long distances, responding to external events safely and correctly while being completely unaware that they are doing so.
In this state, the driver’s conscious mind is seemingly entirely focused elsewhere while the mind still processes the information required to drive safely. In highway hypnosis, automaticity manifests itself.
Most drivers have no idea what road hypnosis is.
- Road hypnosis begins 2.5 hours after the driver gets on the road, their eyes are open, but their brains are not recording and analyzing what they see.
- The most common cause of rear-end crashes involving parked vehicles and trucks in front of you is Road hypnosis.
- In Road hypnosis, the driver has no memory of the last 15 minutes until the moment of impact. There is no way for him to find out how fast he is going or the speed of the car in front of him. Usually, a collision occurs at over 140 km/h.
- It is essential to stop, take a walk, and drink tea or coffee every 2.5 hours to prevent Road hypnosis.
- Driving involves remembering certain places and vehicles.
- It means you are driving yourself and the passengers to death if you cannot recall anything from the last 15 minutes.
- Road hypnosis occurs more frequently at night if the passengers are also sleeping.
- It would help if you kept his mind open by stopping, resting, walking 5-6 minutes every 2.5 hours, and keeping his eyes and ears open.
- An accident will inevitably occur if the mind is closed, but the eyes are open.