Spotify realised that many subscribers with a family account share it with their friends, a real shortfall for the Swedish company . That’s why she has been working for several months on a solution to no longer share her account with someone outside the family.
For Spotify, it’s a real scourge and that’s why the company decided to shut down Spotify Account Sharing feature. The chosen solution is the geolocation of its users.
As a reminder, the family subscription allows, for 14.99 euros per month, to listen to music in unlimited and without advertising and to share it with 6 other members of the family . With this account, you could subscribe for 2.5 euros by dividing the amount of this subscription by 6.
Today, it is stipulated that sharing will be possible only if the 6 members of the family live under the same roof. To verify this information, the Spotify application will retrieve your location via Google Maps during your registration. This is not really a surprise since the company had previously changed the rights to use its service this summer. The following mentions have been added:
- To qualify for the Family Premium Subscription, the primary account holder and the secondary account holders must be from the same family and reside at the same address.
- When activating a Premium Family sub account, you will be prompted to verify your home address.
- We may from time to time request a new verification of your personal address to confirm that you still meet the eligibility criteria.
- We use Google Maps Address Search to help you find and register your address.
- Spotify reserves the right to terminate or suspend access to the Spotify Premium Family service and the Spotify Premium Family account (s) immediately and at any time in case of non-compliance with the eligibility criteria and as stipulated in the Spotify Terms and Conditions.
If you have a family account and share it with friends who do not live at home, the Swedish company could close your account at any time.
Subscribe to our newsletter below and never miss the latest Technology updates.