Select Language:
On Saturday, President Donald Trump announced that a memorandum of understanding regarding a peace agreement with Iran is “mostly negotiated,” with both parties and mediators in Pakistan reporting notable advancements. Trump shared on social media that this emerging deal is expected to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial shipping route whose closure until recently had disrupted global energy markets after hostilities began in February, following US and Israeli strikes on Iran.
Trump did not specify other elements of the potential agreement, merely stating, “Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly.” Early Sunday, Iran’s Fars news agency reported that the deal would permit Iran to oversee the Strait of Hormuz, contrasting Trump’s remarks about the deal’s near-final status as “inconsistent with reality.” Earlier that day, Iran indicated it was working toward a memorandum of understanding to outline steps to end the conflict, following meetings between Iran’s top officials and Pakistan’s Chief of Defense Forces and Army Chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir.
The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) described the negotiations as making “encouraging” progress toward a final understanding. Two Pakistani sources involved in the talks indicated the deal being negotiated is “quite comprehensive” and aims to bring a halt to the ongoing war. Sources told Reuters that the proposed framework would unfold in three phases: formally ending the conflict, resolving issues in the Strait of Hormuz, and initiating a 30-day negotiation window for a broader agreement that could be extended.
Earlier Saturday, Trump told Axios he planned to decide by Sunday whether to restart attacks on Iran. “Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” he was quoted as saying. One Pakistani source suggested there’s no guarantee the U.S. will accept the memorandum, and if it does, further discussions would follow after Eid concludes on Friday.
Trump, whose approval ratings have been impacted by the war’s effects on energy prices for Americans, also mentioned that he would stay in Washington this weekend instead of attending his son’s wedding, citing Iran among the reasons. On Saturday, he had phone conversations with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, and Pakistan. Axios reported that these leaders encouraged Trump to support the emerging framework.
Pakistan has been trying to bridge differences between Iran and the U.S. after weeks of conflict that have kept the vital Hormuz waterway largely closed to shipping, despite a tentative ceasefire. Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio reiterated Trump’s stance early Saturday, emphasizing that Iran must never develop nuclear weapons, the straits should remain open without tolls, and Iran should hand over its enriched uranium. Rubio, currently visiting India, mentioned that some progress had been made and that work continues, adding, “There’s a chance we’ll have news later today, tomorrow, or in the next few days.”
Vice President JD Vance returned to the White House on Saturday afternoon, having cut short a trip to Ohio. Iran denies pursuing nuclear weapons, asserting its right to enrich uranium for civilian purposes, and has demanded oversight of the strait, an end to the U.S. blockade on its ports, and the lifting of sanctions on Iranian oil exports.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Esmail Baghaei, stated that while the week has seen a trend toward reducing disputes, there are still issues to discuss through mediators. He highlighted the importance of ending the threat of new U.S. attacks and ongoing conflicts in Lebanon, where Iran-backed Hezbollah is fighting Israeli forces in the south.
Meanwhile, Iranian officials, including top negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, held meetings in Tehran. Qalibaf emphasized that Iran would pursue its “legitimate rights” both militarily and diplomatically, warning that if the U.S. recklessly restarts the war, the consequences would be “more forceful and bitter” than before. Despite weeks of conflict, Iran has maintained its stockpile of nearly weapons-grade enriched uranium, along with missile, drone, and proxy capabilities.





