• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Guest Post
No Result
View All Result
Digital Phablet
  • Home
  • NewsLatest
  • Technology
    • Education Tech
    • Home Tech
    • Office Tech
    • Fintech
    • Digital Marketing
  • Social Media
  • Gaming
  • Smartphones
  • AI
  • Reviews
  • Interesting
  • How To
  • Home
  • NewsLatest
  • Technology
    • Education Tech
    • Home Tech
    • Office Tech
    • Fintech
    • Digital Marketing
  • Social Media
  • Gaming
  • Smartphones
  • AI
  • Reviews
  • Interesting
  • How To
No Result
View All Result
Digital Phablet
No Result
View All Result

Home » China Rescuers Hunt for Missing After Mine Blast Kills 82

China Rescuers Hunt for Missing After Mine Blast Kills 82

Lucas Huang by Lucas Huang
May 24, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
China Rescuers Hunt for Missing After Mine Blast Kills 82
ADVERTISEMENT

Select Language:

Rescuers in northern China searched for two individuals still missing on Sunday after a gas explosion at a mine claimed 82 lives. The incident, which occurred at the Liushenyu shaft in Shanxi province on Friday, is considered China’s deadliest mining disaster in nearly 20 years, with 247 workers underground at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Relatives gathered anxiously at a checkpoint near the mine, hoping for news about their loved ones. One man, nervously smoking on the curb, told AFP that calls to his brother—who has three children—had gone unanswered since the blast. He admitted he had no idea how the accident happened and that his parents still didn’t know their older son was missing.

Authorities have begun an investigation into the explosion, with early findings indicating that the Tongzhou Group, which operated the mine, had committed “serious illegal violations.” Officials assured the public that those responsible would face strict legal consequences, as more than half of the workers in the shaft had entered without proper registration, according to state media. Typically, miners undergo facial recognition checks or use location-tracking cards before descending into the mine.

A company representative has been taken into custody under legal procedures, reported Xinhua News Agency. Miners accused their employer of neglect, sharing that they had to purchase their own safety helmets. One 58-year-old miner from Shandong, who has worked in several coal mines over three decades and wished to remain anonymous, said management was the worst he had seen. He explained he was on a morning shift during the accident and was not in the mine when the explosion occurred. “If we had been working a few hours later, it would have been us,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Chinese State Council has mandated nationwide “tough crackdowns” on illegal activities, including falsification of safety data, underreporting underground workers, and illegal contracting practices.

Rescue teams responded swiftly, with hundreds of personnel rushing to the scene. By Saturday evening, 128 injured individuals had been transported to hospitals. Rescuers systematically entered the mine shaft throughout the night, using robots to assess underground conditions. One rescuer told Xinhua, “As long as there is hope, we will make every possible effort.” This incident marks the most devastating mining accident since 2009, when 108 people died in Heilongjiang province.

Survivor Wang Yong recounted that he heard no sound during the explosion but saw a cloud of sulfurous smoke, reminiscent of firecracker explosions. He shouted for others to run as the smoke descended and fainted after being overcome by it. After more than an hour, he regained consciousness and managed to escape.

International leaders offered condolences, with Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi praying for the safe rescue of those trapped. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed hope that the grieving families find strength amid the tragedy. Shanxi, one of China’s poorer regions, is a major hub of the country’s coal mining sector.

While mining safety has improved over recent decades, accidents still occur, often due to lax safety protocols and vague regulations. In 2023, a collapse at an open-pit coal mine in Inner Mongolia resulted in 53 fatalities. Despite China’s significant investments in renewable energy and being the world’s top coal consumer and greenhouse gas emitter, coal continues to be vital to the country’s energy needs.

ChatGPT ChatGPT Perplexity AI Perplexity Gemini AI Logo Gemini AI Grok AI Logo Grok AI
Google Banner
Tags: ChinaChina's coal industrygas explosionmining disasterrescue operationsafety violations
ADVERTISEMENT
Lucas Huang

Lucas Huang

Singaporean tech writer and digital strategist passionate about smart city innovations. Off the clock, he’s either hunting for the best Hainanese chicken rice or cycling through Marina Bay at dusk.

Related Posts

Eight killed, dozens trapped in China coal mine explosion
News

Eight killed, dozens trapped in China coal mine explosion

May 23, 2026
Putin and Xi Reaffirm Strong Bond Following Trump Meeting
News

Putin and Xi Reaffirm Strong Bond Following Trump Meeting

May 20, 2026
Tankers Leave Hormuz Amid U.S. Iran Deal Discussions
News

Tankers Leave Hormuz Amid U.S. Iran Deal Discussions

May 20, 2026
China Rains Kill 22, 20 Still Missing
News

China Rains Kill 22, 20 Still Missing

May 20, 2026
Next Post
How To Collaborate on GitHub Effectively

How To Collaborate on GitHub Effectively

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • Privacy Policy
  • Guest Post

© 2026 Digital Phablet

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Technology
    • Education Tech
    • Home Tech
    • Office Tech
    • Fintech
    • Digital Marketing
  • Social Media
  • Gaming
  • Smartphones

© 2026 Digital Phablet